Skip to main content
Easier access for your HSA Portal, coming to Online Banking on February 28. Learn more.

Traditional and Roth IRAs

Plan for retirement the safe and secure way.

Open an IRA

Or call 1-800-621-2105

IRAs Dividend Rate  APY 
6 Month Term 0.39% 0.40%
1 Year Term 0.49% 0.50%
18 Month Term 0.98% 1.00%
2 Year Term 1.03% 1.05%
3 Year Term 1.08% 1.10%
4 Year Term 1.32% 1.35%
5 Year Term 2.00% 2.05%
7 Year Term 2.10% 2.15%
10 Year Term 2.24% 2.30%

Rates effective as of December 1, 2017,  and may change without notice. Fees may reduce earnings.

Traditional and Roth IRAs


  • Save for retirement at any age
  • Choose between tax-deductible contributions or tax-exempt withdrawals


  • Contribute up to $5,500 per tax year, or possibly $6,500 if you are over age 50
  • If your spouse is employed, he/she can open an IRA and contribute up to $5,500 of earned income for the year
  • Or, you can open a spousal IRA on his/her behalf with the total contribution of $11,000 for the year, as long as a contribution to either of the accounts is no more than $5,500. For 50 and older the contribution for both could total $13,000 for the year.


Our experienced, helpful member service team is ready to support you!


Live Chat

Chat Available Mon-Fri, 8 am-5 pm Eastern

Traditional IRA vs. Roth IRA


Traditional IRA

  • Savings are taxed as income in retirement (tax-deferred earnings)
  • Contributions may be tax deductible
  • No income limits for contributions


Roth IRA

  • Contributions are not tax deductible, and there are limits on your contributions
  • Receive tax-free income in retirement, as the contributions were taxed when put into savings
  • Withdrawals are considered qualified as long as the account has been open for at least five year, and you are either over age 59 1/2, disabled, or buying your first home (other restrictions may apply)

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: Can I roll over my HSA into an IRA?
A: No. HSA funds can only be rolled over into another HSA account, not an IRA.

Q: Can I open a Rate Climber IRA or Roth Certificate?
A: Yes, we currently offer the Rate Climber certificate for IRAs or Roth Accounts.

Q: What happens to my Traditional IRA if I die?
A: Your beneficiaries will be notified, and funds will be distributed accordingly.

How to Get Started


Simply call 1-800-621-2105 to start your Traditional or Roth IRA application. An Elements representative will help you determine the best plan to fit your financial goals and will reach out within 2 business days to let you know if you’ve been approved.

You Might Find Helpful