Autumn has arrived! That cool air is beginning to pick up, so now is the time to prepare for year-end, both indoors and outdoors.
As a credit union, we’re dedicated to providing you with trusted advice to make your money — and your mortgage — work for you! Keeping your home up to date in every season can feel like a daunting task. That’s why our mortgage team has assembled a quick checklist of ideas to consider for keeping your home maintenance in check.
Autumn Curb Appeal Essentials
Autumn can bring some of the most beautiful scenery and comfortable weather of any season. There are plenty of reasons to be outside and take advantage of the nice cooler air while simultaneously improving the exterior look of your home. Here are some of our home improvement tips to achieve your own version of the great outdoors:
- Assess Your Doors and Windows — Check on your doors and windows – keeping yourself safe and warm should be a high-level priority in this autumn season. Ensure that these do not need extra caulking for the cold months ahead.
- Rake Sticks and Leaves — One of the best ways to maintain quality curb appeal this season is by clearing the yard of fallen leaves and branches. It is best to get ahead of it sooner than later to avoid having to do this project in the cold winter months.
- Trim Your Shrubs — Weed and shrub control are great ways to liven up your home’s outer presence and ensure you’re avoiding unnecessary buildup that will cause further troubles in the future.
- Mow Your Lawn — As the cold air begins, monitor your grass for growth as the weather shifts. Keep cutting the grass into the fall to ensure you have manageable grass once the snow and ice begin to thaw in the springtime.
- Check for Cracks or Openings — It may be beneficial to scan outside your home and check for any cracks on the exterior. Maintaining your home’s structural condition will help to protect your home’s value and eliminate the potential for long-term damage.
Autumn Indoor Essentials
While the outside air is delightful, sometimes we want to appreciate the beauty of autumn from the comfort of our own home. There are plenty of ways to increase the value of your home from the inside. Here are a few autumn-inspired indoor improvements we recommend:
- Seal Any Drafts — Leaky ceilings or cold drafts coming through the windows and walls can be avoided with consistent monitoring and updates. It’s important to block the threats that weather can have on your home.
- Organize Your Cupboards — Make sure all your lids are tight, boxes are closed, and bags are sealed to deter inhabitants from the outside from making their way inside to your warmth and food supply.
- Check Your Closets — One way to free up space is to go through all your closets and organize them as a priority. Blankets, clothing, and other items that have not been used in the past year should be considered for donations.
- Refresh Your Living Spaces — You may find yourself in your living room quite a bit this autumn. Renovating rooms can increase the value of your home as well as provide a creative boost and a nice change for yourself. Update your main living areas with new paint, artwork, or unique furniture pieces this fall season.
Stay in Touch
Overall, your Elements mortgage team is here to support you with anything related to your home. From considering which improvements to make using your equity to thinking about a second home, to working through putting your house on the market — please reach out with your questions any time. Wishing you a safe and enjoyable autumn from the entire Elements team!